Monday, March 11, 2013

Pinterest Review- Healthy Granola

This is it! The granola recipe I've been using. I am so excited to have found this. Go on over to A Small Snippet to check it out. That is her photo up there. Looks great right? It totally is. After you're done browsing at A Small Snippet, print the recipe and c'mon back here. I'll tell you what changes I've made.

So here we go.

The recipe calls for almond extract, which I'm sure will give this a greater depth. However, I didn't have any on hand so I just doubled up the vanilla. I'm definitely going to add the almond extract back in at some point, but my point is, don't worry if you don't have it on hand.

I also didn't have flax seed, ground or otherwise. I used wheat germ.

I knew some of my kids would not like the almonds, so I added pumpkin seeds instead. Any sort of nut or seed would be delicious. Or just leave them out entirely. It will still be great.

And lastly, the recipe calls for a sprinkle of cinnamon. I added more like 2 tsp of cinnamon. In the next batch I decided to also add about 1/4 tsp of nutmeg and 1/8 tsp of cloves. Basically, pumpkin pie spice, except I didn't have ginger. Or pumpkin pie spice. Again, tweak it to your own taste. I think this is an absolutely fantastic basic recipe to individualize for your family. I love that there are no refined sugars. Just honey as a sweetener.

So yeah, my vote is definitely Pinterest success!

1 comment:

Jenny said...

Thanks for sharing, Molly. I love that it has no oil, either! I really like to make my own granola. I'll definitely give this a try.