Sunday, March 18, 2012

Creating a Farmhouse Kitchen...




...in a cookie-cutter house. As regular readers know by now, I am trying to introduce lots of vintage farmhouse touches in my home.

Because we are getting ready to put the house on the market, I don't want to do anything really permanent that a potential buyer might not like. But I also know that this house could be on the market for quite some time and I really want to be happy while I am still living here. So I have started adding some things here and there. This is still a work in progress, but I am happy to share what I have done so far.
Here are a couple before pictures, just for fun.



The beadboard backsplash is the most permanent thing I have done, and it has had such a big impact.
Just yesterday I was looking at my kitchen and thinking, "I wish I would have gotten that done sooner because I love it so very much!" This has brightened up my kitchen 500%. It looks clean and crisp and adds so much charm!

I love how it looks with my Mason jars and cutting board.



I added the glass tile backsplash behind my stove recently as well. This doesn't necessarily scream vintage farmhouse, but I think it will hold great appeal for a potential buyer. I have corbels to install on each side of the tile which will look a bit more farmhouse.


When you think of a vintage farmhouse sink, I'm sure, just like me, you see a beautiful apron sink. My next home will have one. But for now, the other thing I envision when I think about the sink, is a skirt. I decided to sew a couple curtain panels from burlap and vintage fabric. I just removed the cabinet doors (easy to pop back on for resale) and added a curtain rod inside to hang the curtains from. Easy peasy.


I have a couple other things up my sleeve. Something I'm very excited about involves this vintage cake carrier I bought at the barn sale here in town. Any guesses what my plans might be?



I'm linking up to the Show Us Your House Party at Thrifty Decor Chick

1 comment:

Unknown said...

cute! Love the "cupboard" skirt in front of the sink. Something I have never seen in a cookie cutter kitchen. I hope your home sells fast for you! :)