Monday, April 4, 2011

Spiderman Cake, and Apologies

This past weekend I did a cake order for the boy I babysit. It's especially fun to do a cake for someone I know well. It becomes a lot more personal and lots of extra love goes into it. When I do birthday cakes for my kids, they are entirely works of love. Carson had changed his mind many times about the theme for his cake. It started as Spiderman, then went to Kung Fu Panda, then to Megamind. His Mom and I were both having more success finding ideas and decorations for the Spiderman theme, so we talked him into going with that. I let him look at cake ideas with me online and he found one he really liked. He was most excited about the fact that it had little mini cakes around it. So I modified the design a bit and came up with this:



He requested a toy Spiderman on it, so his Mom brought me one of his to set on top.

The cake itself is red velvet with blue buttercream frosting, covered by marshmallow fondant. That way, when you cut into it, you see the Spiderman colors. I made the red velvet cake from scratch. I thought it turned out rather dry, so I guess I need to find a different red velvet recipe. I think I need to do a little experimenting with cake flavors and recipes. It's got to taste good on the inside, not just look cute on the outside.


As you may have noticed, posting has become few and far between lately. My life has suddenly gotten busier as I've been asked to serve as the Relief Society president at church. Relief Society is the women's organization in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, and entails lots of duties that will require me to prioritize my time. Time that I would normally spend in the blogosphere will now be spent in other ways. But hopefully, once I get into the swing of things, I'll settle in and be able to blog more frequently again. And maybe that will happen sooner than I think. Creating and sharing is an outlet for me, so I'm sure I'll be around.

1 comment:

merathon said...

you are going to be an amazing RS pres! wow!

and that cake-- seriously! mad skillz, babe!