Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Family Room "Mantle"


I don't have a fireplace. This makes me sad for a couple reasons, but this time of year one of the biggies is that I don't have a lovely place to hang the stockings. What I DO have is a half wall with a ledge. This helps, but it's actually a really awkward space to decorate. It's big, it's not centered in the room, it's narrow. Last year I kind of wimped out. I decorated my piano "mantle" and just strung some lights up on the ledge. This year I was determined to do it up right.

I started with an old shed door. When my cousin moved into her house and announced she would be tearing down the old shed in the backyard, I told her I would be happy to help if I could have the door and some of the barnwood. Thinking I was a sucker, she readily agreed. I haven't used the door until now. It has sat in my garage, much to my husband's chagrin, waiting for the perfect project. Do you ever do that? Find something you love and then not use it forever because you want it to be just right? Well, this is not a permanent spot, but it is perfect for what I wanted to accomplish. Rustic, country Christmas.


I built on the look with a yarn ball wreath I made this year, inspired by this at Recaptured Charm. I think I will add a little greenery to it- sparingly- after our trip to the tree farm on Saturday.


These were inspired primarily by my friend Erin, over at Sutton Grace. My take on the many variations of foam cone trees flooding blogland.


I have a secret though. I found the foam cones to be a bit pricey, so I made my base out of posterboard stapled into a cone shape. I made all my bases for $.50. Not too shabby. The red frames I made from some of that barnwood I scored from my cousin. The little bird is a dollar store find. I spray painted it with oil rubbed bronze paint and I love it now.


The stocking board I made a couple years ago with knobs from Hobby Lobby. I free-handed the letters. Everything here was either hand made, thrifted, or a dollar store score. Except the rattan lights. They are from Walmart.


You might have noticed that the accessories changed a bit from picture to picture, but I think I've settled on the bottom picture. I may be adding some greenery, however. I think that's all it is lacking. We'll see what I can find at the tree farm.

I'm linking up over at The Lettered Cottage's Christmas Mantle Party.
The Lettered Cottage

13 comments:

Unknown said...

Wonderful mix! I love the door and the stocking board. Great idea using the ledge.

Stephanie said...

This looks so great Molly. Our new house doesn't have a mantle, but it does have a pot belly stove. I like your knob board idea, because I could probably do that. You always amaze me. :)

Sherri said...

I am swooooning! LOVE the old door. Your trees are adorable and you saved $$$ by making your own cones?!! Awesome! Plus everything was done on the 'cheap'. You are a girl after my heart. It is "simply" beautiful!!!

Erin @ The Little Apartment said...

I like it! Very sweet.

Trisha @ The Sweet Survival said...

I love the shed door and yarn wreath. Wonderful!

Erin said...

Looks beautiful!! I love your trees! What a good idea to use poster board. You are a clever girl!

Teresa@1800 Farmhouse Rd said...

How creative you are! And it is adorable. I am your newest follower. Stop by and visit me sometime.

Ann said...

I love your door and yarn wreath! Beautiful! Will be following!

Michaela said...

I love the rustic feel...so fun and simple, yet totally beautiful and festive for the holidays!

Finding Home said...

Love how you added the twine as a garland on your trees, and they are made of poster board! Really well done! Thanks for sharing, Laura

Amy R. said...

Cute! Love the door and your "mantle" has such character!

Tara@JustDevineStyle said...

WOW the colors are wonderful. I love how rustic chic it looks. Bravo!

Heather said...

Love your mantel! Love the yarn ball wreath and the yarn cone trees. Great call making your own cones. It is unbelievable how expensive they are. I am planning on making some fabric-wrapped ball ornaments, and I was shocked at how much styrofoam balls are. Too bad I can't make those out of poster board.