Monday, November 9, 2009

Let There Be Light

We are slowly plugging away at decorating our basement family room. For a while, we had turned the room over to the girls to use as a bedroom. For some time before that, it had been mostly a playroom. Finally, we have reclaimed it as family room and are attempting to make it feel homey and warm. I bought a table off Craig's List and refinished it as a game table for the space. We have played games there a couple times now, and have determined it needed more light. In October, while we were in NC, I picked up a wicker lamp shade at a yard sale for a dollar, I think, with this space in mind.
I took a hanging lamp kit we had kicking around from 2 houses ago,

fitted it in the shade,

made a cord cover from leftover slipcover fabric,

and attached an exaggerated ruffle made from more of the leftover fabric.



I'm liking it.
I was going to add some ribbon trim at the transition from shade to ruffle, but when I pulled on the end of my ribbon I discovered only one rotation of it on the spool. And I was out of hot glue sticks anyway. Maybe later. Or maybe I like it just the way it is.

No comments: